Sunday, September 19, 2010

TWO

My pastor, Dr. Stephen, is teaching on Revelation and this morning he said something that has stayed on my mind all day. He was talking about how Rev. 7:9-17 promises that there will be a day when a countless multitude of people from every part of the world will surround the throne of God and worship Him with every part of their soul. Dr. Stephen made the point that there are currently about 6 billion people in the world- of which only 2 billion are Christians. Dr. Stephen left his sermon at this, “Who will tell the other 4,000,000,000?”

Good question…

So, I did the math…and the math is simple. How many people would the 200 billion have to tell in order to reach all 4 billion? Assuming that every one of the 2 billion believers are willing to share their faith, then we all only need to tell 2 people. TWO PEOPLE! (Your heart should be pounding!!!!!)

Even if only half of us chose to share, we would all only need to tell 4. If only one fourth of us share the good news, that just raises the number to 8. (Your heart should be racing!!!!!!)

Now, obviously the numbers are a little more complicated than that because we have to take a lot of factors into consideration. What if two people tell the same two people? What about all of the countries where it is illegal to share the gospel? What about third world countries and hidden rainforest civilizations? What about all of the people who don’t even have the Bible written in their own language?

But what about all of the people in your own little world who don’t even know you go to church?

When I was younger my Bible study teacher told a haunting story about how he ran into his long lost high school best friend at a 10-year reunion; the best friend, who lived a crazy, reckless youth had turned his life around and become a Christian. The best friend had one question, “How come you never told me? I thought I knew everything about you, but how could you not share this? I was so lost, you never showed me the way.” (Your heart should be breaking!!!!!!) My Bible study teacher told us that he would never forget those words. Neither will I.

Who will tell the other 4 billion? Will I do my part? Will you?

For, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved,” How, then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they breach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” Romans 10:13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment