Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Best Day of Your Life

Every summer the youth group that I work for does local mission projects. So, last week I spent a few mornings at a place called Spirit Horse, a non-profit therapeutic horse riding center in Corinth, Texas that serves around 400 mentally and physically disabled children every week...for FREE. Mr. Charles, the owner of Spirit Horse, took time to explain the importance of his ministry; while Spirit Horse meets hundreds of physical needs, Mr. Charles makes it clear that he works for the purpose of meeting the spiritual needs of these kids and their families as well. In other words, it takes about 3 minutes of listening to Mr. Charles to find out that he is living out what he believes God created him to do.

Mr. Charles said something to us last week that is still fresh on my mind. He said, “The best day of your life is when you realize the ministry God has created you for. You were all created to do something for the Lord, you just have to find out what it is. God gave me a passion for horses, a passion for children and an aptitude for business. And He has taught me everything else I need to know to develop Spirit Horse. The work done here is important because it is the Lord’s work.”

I looked around at the 20 teenagers I was with and smiled because I knew exactly what he meant. I love my ministry. My life feels worthwhile because of these kids. I love going to camp with them, serving with them, laughing with them, and figuring out life with them. And I even get paid to play glow-in-the-dark ultimate frisbee with them. Yes, there are many reasons why I love my job. But there is only one reason I do my job- because I know God created me for it.

As Mr. Charles spoke those words, I realized how important it is to hear that we are created for a purpose. So many people wonder around life trying to find something to make them happy. We look for it everywhere, requiring instant gratification and an excess return for our labor. We often make the mistake of trying to avoid our calling, convinced that life is better without responsibility. We make excuses. We wait until we are older and wiser. We postpone lifelong satisfaction until we are ready to settle down.

What I want to know is why we are so determined to avoid the best day of our lives? Aren’t we all looking for hope? Something to look forward to when we wake up? Something to make us feel worthwhile? What are we so afraid of? What is holding us back from turning our potential into passion?

Lately I have heard a lot of stories of people struggling. Struggling to find a job. Struggling to find love. Struggling to find inner peace. Struggling to find a reason to live. Mr. Charles reminded me of the hope we have in the truth that we are made for a purpose. Life can be brutal, you might as well spend it doing something worthwhile.

So, go do whatever you love. Make music. Create art. Teach little kids. Find the cure. Save the rainforest. Whatever you choose to do, do it well, and give glory to God. Ministry is nothing more than embracing your God-given talents, sharing them with the world, and doing it in such a way that people want to know more about the God your serve. The best day of your life is waiting for you. So, go live it!

If you are interested in learning more about the incredible ministry at Spirit Horse, click here.

1 comment:

  1. We were made to glorify Him. That's our purpose here and it's a great thing to be using all that you are to honor Him. Knowing that you are where He wants you to be, doing what He wants you to do, will be the rock to stand on during the days that are hard or dreary. Know why you are where you are - because He led you here.

    ReplyDelete